Dance Competition Registration
Sunday November 19th, 2023 - 5:30pm
the Sheraton Hotel, Downtown Montreal
Open to Amateurs and Professionals
Participate in this 2nd Montreal Heels Dance Competition open to everyone from beginner to advanced. Amateurs and Professionals alike can demonstrate their talent by competing in front of an audience and judged by world renown dancers and compete for this year’s bragging rights for the best Heels dancer. Medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. See below for the complete list of dances, categories and levels.
Welcome to the 2023 Montreal Heels Festival Dance Competitions!
Date: November 19, 2023 Time: 5:30 PM
- Showcase for Professional, Amateur, Pro-Am, Same-Gender, Solo & Team Dancers
- Participation: Competitors of all nationalities welcome.
- Minimum Age: Participants must be 18 years old at the time of the competition.
- Open to All: National and international artists are invited to participate.
- Competitor Pass: It is mandatory for all registered competitors to acquire a Performers/Competitors Pass to gain access to the complete range of activities throughout the entire weekend.
- Competition Date: November 19, 2023, 5:30 PM
- Registration Deadline: Register by November 16, 2023.
Registration Formula – Showcase:
- Competitors must register for a minimum of 2 showcases to be eligible for the reduced-price competitor pass.
- If registering for less than 2 entries, competitors must still purchase a Full Pass at the regular price.
- Competition/Entry Fees are non-refundable/non-
- Registration Deadlines:
- Until Aug 15th: Early bird registration
- Aug 16th to Oct 15th: Regular price registrations
- Oct 16th to Nov 16th: Last chance registrations
Steps to Obtain the Competitor Pass:
- Send proof of registration to MBF to receive the PROMO CODE.
- Obtain the competitor pass on Eventbrite using the assigned promotional code.
- A Competitor Pass offers the same access as a Regular Pass.
- No refunds or transfers for purchased “Competitor Pass.”
- Competitor Pass Price Timeline:
- Until Sept. 15th: $119 + fees
- Sept. 16th to Oct 15th: $129 + fees
- Oct. 16th to Nov 1st: $139 + fees
- Nov. 1st until Event: $159 + fees
Please use the upload button on the ”Music Upload Link” tab to submit your music. We recommend using the mp3 format for your file. When naming your file, please follow this format: [PerformerName, Category, SongName.mp3].
- Media Release: Participants grant authorization for the unrestricted use of media (photos/videos) for commercial purposes.
- Liability: The festival is not responsible for accidents during preparation or performances.
- Restrictions: Strictly prohibited: theme choreography, accessories, symbolism, etc.
- Compliance and Penalties: Participants must follow regulations; non-compliance may result in penalties or disqualification.
- Regulation Adjustment: Regulations subject to potential adjustments; participants must accept festival and judges’ decisions.
- Withdrawal Policy: No reimbursement for withdrawn categories after payment.
- Lost or Stolen Items: The festival is not responsible for lost, stolen, or forgotten items.
- Eliminatory Stage: Festival may introduce elimination rounds if necessary.
- Rehearsal: No run-throughs or dress rehearsals on the performance stage.
- Score Announcement: Scores will be available on the website after the event.
- VIP Seating Upgrades: VIP seating upgrades are available.
Join us at the 2nd Montreal Heels Festival on November 19, 2023, for an incredible showcase of talent and passion in the world of Heels dance!
Non-Refundable Fees: Entry fees for the competition are non-refundable.
Participant Pass Requirement: All participants must acquire a Performers/Competitors Pass.
Division Entries: Should any division receive fewer than 3 entries, MHF retains the right to cancel or merge divisions. If a division is canceled, the entry fee will be reimbursed. If divisions are combined, the entry fee will be applied to the merged division.
Heels Dance Emphasis: As this is the Heels Dance Competition, we encourage participants to embrace the essence of this unique style in their performances.
Attire and Costumes:Competitors are encouraged to wear costumes or matching outfits. We highly emphasize tastefulness in costume choices. Nudity is strictly prohibited. Costumes will be evaluated as part of the Presentation category.
Prop Usage:Props are allowed, with the exception of dangerous items. Props must be set up and removed from the stage within a total of two minutes. Competitors must ensure the stage is clean and clear after the routine. For safety reasons, props cannot exceed a height of 6 feet. Confetti and feathers are not permitted. Kindly inform us about any prop usage.
Solo Showcases: 1 minute 15 seconds to 2 minutes 15 seconds
Amateur Showcases:2 minutes 30 seconds or less
Pro-Am Showcases:2 minutes 30 seconds or less
Team Showcases (Mixed Gender, Same Gender):1 minute 45 seconds to 3 minutes 30 seconds
Music: You can integrate a maximum of 3 songs into your routine.
Judicial Authority:The head judge’s decisions will be considered final in all disputes.
By registering, participants release Montreal Heels Festival and judges from all responsibilities. Additionally, participants acknowledge that their scores will be publicly disclosed. Participants also grant the rights to use their submissions for public and promotional purposes, without limitation.
Heels Pro-Am Female
Heels Pro-Am Female Same-Gender
Open Pro-Am Female
Open Pro-Am Female Same-Gender
Heels Pro-Am Male
Heels Pro-Am Male Same-Gender
Open Pro-Am Male
Open Pro-Am Male Same-Gender
Amateur Heels Solo Male
Amateur Open Female Same-Gender
Amateur Open Male Same-Gender
Amateur Open Mixed-Gender
Amateur Heels Female Same-Gender
Amateur Heels Male Same-Gender
Amateur Heels Mixed-Gender
Amateur Heels Solo Female
Amateur Open Solo Female
Amateur Open Solo Male
Professional Heels Female Same-Gender
Professional Heels Male Same-Gender
Professional Heels Mixed-Gender
Professional Heels Solo Female
Professional Heels Solo Male
Professional Open Female Same-Gender
Professional Open Male Same-Gender
Professional Open Mixed-Gender
Professional Open Solo Female
Professional Open Solo Male
Heels Amateur Ladies Team
Heels Amateur Men’s Team
Heels Amateur Team Mixed-Gender
Heels Pro-Am Ladies Team
Heels Pro-Am Men’s Team
Heels Pro-Am Team Mixed-Gender
Heels Professional Ladies Team
Heels Professional Men’s Team
Heels Professional Team Mixed-Gender
Open Amateur Ladies Team
Open Amateur Men’s Team
Open Amateur Team Mixed-Gender
Open Pro-Am Ladies Team
Open Pro-Am Men’s Team
Open Professional Ladies Team
Open Professional Men’s Team
Open Professional Team Mixed-Gender
Open Pro-Am Team Mixed-Gender
Recognizable timing within the chosen dance genre is paramount in heels dancing. Dancers will be evaluated on their ability to connect with the rhythm, whether it’s freestyle, salsa, bachata, hustle, or another style. The routine should demonstrate a strong synchronization with the music’s rhythm, highlighting the dancer’s mastery of rhythm and movement.
In the world of heels dancing, musicality takes center stage. Competitors will showcase their creativity in harmonizing with the timing of their individual music. This could include inventive patterns, footwork, “hits,” tricks, and other elements that intricately intertwine with the musical beat, elevating the performance to an artistic fusion of movement and music.
General Dance Technique & Dance-Specific Technique (15%)
Technique is the backbone of exceptional heels dancing. Balance, placement, and line contribute to the aesthetic appeal of the performance. The movement should appear both effortless and precise, reflecting the dancer’s command of foundational techniques specific to heels dancing.
Athletic Coordination/Strength Moves (15%)
Heels dancing thrives on athletic coordination and impressive displays of strength. Complex patterns, turns, shine movements, and the level of tricks, dips, drops, and flares are key components. Judges will assess the execution of moves, including turns on both double and single feet, intricate shines, jumps, kicks, extensions, and movements demanding exceptional balance, flexibility, or strength.
At the core of heels dancing is the synchronicity between dancers and their connection to the music. Judges will evaluate the degree of synchronization within the performance. Genuine harmony between movements and the music, along with synchronicity during side by sides or shines, will significantly contribute to the score in this category, showcasing the seamless coordination inherent to heels dancing.
Choreography is the canvas for a dancer’s interpretation of music in heels dancing. Creativity and musicality shine through in this category. Clever turn patterns, shines, musical alignment, and the effective use of space all contribute to crafting an impactful choreography. Originality is a key factor as dancers create routines that reflect their unique artistic expression.
Overall Presentation/Showmanship (10%)
A captivating presentation is the culmination of a dancer’s artistry in heels dancing. Costuming, showmanship, and sportsmanship combine to create a memorable on-stage persona. Dancers who exude confidence, flair, and respect towards fellow competitors enhance their overall performance, embodying the spirit of heels dancing.
We’re thrilled to witness the talent and dedication of all participants. Each category contributes to the final score, reflecting a comprehensive evaluation of the dancers’ performances. Best of luck to all dancers, as we come together to celebrate the art, skill, and passion of heels dancing!
Link available shortly. The file will be handed directly to DJ for your dance competition showcase.
Suggested file type should be mp3 format. Please identify your file as follows:
[PerformerName – SongName.mp3]